QBA Meditours

Endocrine System Cancers

Hypophysis Adenoma


Pituitary gland is in the brain base (not a part of the brain) and this gland is enerally called as “major gland” due to its great impact on the various organs of the body and the function of regulating the hormones being responsible of the general human health. Tumors developing in pituiary gland is generally benign (adenoma – a name given to the non-cancerous cells in glandular system) and it rarely spreads to the other parts of the body, its size may grow and it may lead to visual impairment, headache, reduction in sex hormones, infertility and sensitiviness.

The following treatment programs are offerred:

  • Neurosurgery: The most common treatment methods is the removal of the tumor and peripheral tissues by operation, depending on the size, location of tumor and whether it caused to other health problems such as visual impairment or not.

Thyroid Cancer

Thyroid which is a small gland consisting of two interconnected lobes is in the anterio section of the neck, under the larynx and is responsible for controlling the body functions such as body temperature, metabolism, heart beat rate and blood pressure. Thyroid cancer develops once some cells change and become cancerous. Generally, thyroid cancer develops slowly, it is the least fatal type among the head and neck cancers and it is the most treatable one among all cancers.

The following operations are offerred in Cuba:

  • Hemithyroidectomy: It is a standard surgical procedure for removal of one lobe of thyroid. This procedure is so reliable and the risk of damage is little.
  • Thyroidectomy wih Radical Dissection: It is a common surgical procedure for removal of the gland wholly or partially. In case of lymph node metastasis, radical dissection is performed.

Pancreas Cancer


Pancreas is located in the deep sections of the abdomen and constitutes an integral part of both digestive and endocrine system. 90% of the pancreas is responsible for the production of enzymes assisting the digestion of fat, cholesterol and proteins, the remaining 10% is responsible for the production of hormones regulating the glucose metabolism such as insulin and glucagon. Since pancreas cancer is located in the deep sections of the body, generally it is a difficult disease to detect and it shows very few indications until it develops well. There are two types of pancreas cancer: first and the most prevalent of which is exocrine pancreas (part of the pancreas producing enzyme) cancer, the second is endocrine pancreas (part of the pancreas producing hormone) cancer.

The following treatment programs are offered:

Hemithyroidectomy: It is a standard surgical procedure for removal of one lobe of thyroid. This procedure is so reliable and the risk of damage is little.

Thyroidectomy with Radical Dissection: It is a common surgical procedure for removal of the gland wholly or partially. In case of lymph node metastasis, radical dissection is performed.

Pancreas Cancer
Pancreas is located in the deep sections of the abdomen and constitutes an integral part of both digestive and endocrine system. 90% of the pancreas is responsible for the production of enzymes assisting the digestion of fat, cholesterol and proteins, the remaining 10% is responsible for the production of hormones regulating the glucose metabolism such as insulin and glucagon. Since pancreas cancer is located in the deep sections of the body, generally it is a difficult disease to detect and it shows very few indications until it develops well. There are two types of pancreas cancer: first and the most prevalent of which is exocrine pancreas (part of the pancreas producing enzyme) cancer, the second is endocrine pancreas (part of the pancreas producing hormone) cancer.

The following treament programs are offered:

Pancreatic duodenectomy: It is also known as whipple method and it is the most common operation applied for pancreas cancer. In this method, tumors in the head of the pancreas are removed (the widest section where there are maximum tumor). Since pancreas is in interaction with the other organs, duodenum (first section of small intestine), bile duct and sometimes a part of the stomach are removed and then, it is rebound to the digestive and bile system.

Distal Pancreatectomy: If tumors were within the body and tile (the narrowest section) parts of the pancreas, these sections would be removed by operation. This method contains the removal of spleen.

Total Pancreatectomy: It is performed when cancer is in the advanced stage or spreads to the most parts of the pancreas. It contains the removal of the whole pancreas, a part of small intestine, a part of the stomach, general bile duct, gall bladder, spleen and nearby lymph nodes. In case of obstructive jaundice (inhibition of bile flow from the liver to the duodenum and it is also known as mechanical jaundice), this method is not applied.

Adrenal Gland Cancer

Böbreküstü bezleri iki bezden oluşur ve her biri bir böbreğin üstünde bulunur. Böbreküstü bezleri iki parçadan oluşur. Dış kısım adrenal korteks olarak adlandırılır, metabolizmayı ve vücut özelliklerini kontrol eden kortizol, aldosteron ve dehidroepiandrosteron hormonlarının üretilmesinden sorumludur. İç kısım adrenal medula olarak adlandırılır ve vücudun strese karşı verdiği tepkiyi kontrol eden hormonların üretiminden sorumludur.
Adrenal glands consist of two glands and each one of which is located on one kidney. Adrenal glands consist of two parts. The outer part is called as adrenal cortex, it is responsible for producing cortisol, aldosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone hormones controlling the metabolism and body features. The inner part is called as adrenal medula and is responsible for producing hormones controlling the reaction which body gives to the stress. There are two types of adrenal gland cancers; functioning tumor (tumor leading to excessive hormone production) and non-functioning tumo (tumor not producing hormone). However, the origin of many cancers in the adrenal glands is another part of the body, for example; lungs or breasts.

  • Adrenalectomy: It is the most common treatment of adrenal gland cancer, one or both of the adrenal glands is/are removed by operation both in benign and cancerous tumors. Adrenalectomy may be applied once the cancer is spread from another region. If only one adrenal gland is removed, the remaining gland undertakes the function without any need to drug therapy.
  • Hypophysis Adenoma
  • Anaphasegliomas in brain hemispheres
  • Low-grade malign glioma in brain hemispheres
  • Cranioserebralmetastatic tumors
  • Vertebral metastatic tumors
  • Intramedullary Vascular Lesion
  • Supratentorial Meningioma
  • Acoustic Neuroma
  • Tumor in visual nerve tracts
  • Tumor in fourth ventricle and cerebellar hemisphere
  • Tumor in cerebral ventricles
  • Pineal Region Tumors
  • Brain stem tumors
  • Intramedullary tumors
  • Skull Base Tumor